Friday, March 27, 2009

Accents

When you are teaching your kids how to talk, how do you not teach them to have your dumb Boston accent (I mean, how to not have your lovely accent)? I'm from the Boston area & have an awful accent. I know. Yesterday I was counting T's fingers & was saying 5 Fingus. What is a Fingus? That's how it sounds when I was saying it. I know it sounds horrible & never realized I called Fingers, Fingus. But there's lots of words that I say that just don't sound right & I really don't want her to have the same accent. I can try to not talk with that accent, but I really have to think about it. My whole life when I go away somewhere people wouldn't be able to understand me or would be like "Where are you from or are you from England?" I don't know why they think I'm from England. Cause it's New England? I also for some reason have a bit of a Southern accent & I seem to be getting more Southern lately. I love Southern accents, so I'd rather have her have that accent than a Boston accent. Whenever you watch a movie & the actors are trying to sound like they're from Boston, they sound like total brainless idiots. So I can use some advice on this.

2 comments:

Cammie said...

oh no. I like Boston accents! I dont think your's will rub off on her....think about people who have parents from other countries with heavy accents but have children that grow up here....they kind of just adapt to the surroundings.

I dont think she will say pahk the cah

Emily D. said...

Aw, don't worry about it. Its not that big of a deal. I'm with Cammie, I like the Boston accent...and you are right, actors on TV just can't get it right! I work at a hotel, and I hear all types of accents all the time... try understanding a drunk from North Carolina! Or Texas! ( No Offense to anyone!) I just don't speak or understand drunk southern very well! LOL I DO understand drunk Boston though!

I don't blame you for cutting out a blog or two. I have problems keeping up with my one on occasion.