Friday, February 20, 2009

The Station nightclub fire 6 year anni today

6 years ago today the terrible nightclub fire happened. I was in shock the next morning when I saw it on the news. Friends were calling me & e mailing me from all over (Hawaii, Australia etc...) to make sure that I wasn't there. Luckily I wasn't. I had been there 3 times with my old roomie (& 1 of my best friends Renee). It was 1 of our fave clubs. We always had fun when we went there. She moved back to MI in 2001. If she had still lived here we might have been there that night. Her b-day is today 2/20, so we might have gone cause it was her b-day that night. I don't think anyone can understand how we all feel unless you had been to the club, lost a loved 1 or were there & survived. I picture what it looked like inside & all the people trying to get out. We had only been there 3x, but there were always regulars. We didn't know them, just saw the same faces. I wonder if any of them were killed in the fire? We'll never know since we didn't know their names. So every year on this day I will always think of that dreadful day & wish Renee a Happy Birthday & know that she's also thinking of the fire. I think I'll give her a call today. I sent her a b-day package. These pics below were taking inside the Station. The top 1 is with Mark Slaughter from Slaughter & me & the bottom 1 is me with Dana Strum from Slaughter. I think these were taken in 2000.




6 comments:

Cammie said...

I remember that well. So sad

jennykate77 said...

It was definitely a horrible thing to happen. I remember reading and hearing about it.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

That was a sad time:(...

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Have you heard? Today is Day 1 of the Where in the World is Wenda? Contest. Head over to Three Bay B Chicks and Hot Chocolate Caramel Mocha to join in the fun. Can’t wait to see you there!

-Wenda

I am Harriet said...

Hi.
I'm stopping by from the MBC Comment Club to say hello!

Chris said...

I remember hearing about that fire. So sad.