Monday, July 21, 2008

Birth story

I thought I'd include Tara's birth story while I'm at it today. For those of you who haven't read it on Myspace.


Everything started on Thursday night/Friday morning, the 19th/20th. Before I went to bed I noticed lots of mucus. I was wondering if it was the mucus plug. I went to bed at 11:30 & woke up at 1:30. I went down to the bathroom & went. I peed & stopped & more came out & then more. I noticed a little bit of spotting. I was like yay finally. I had thought my water broke, but it wasn't pouring out. I did read that it could just be a dribble. I ran upstairs & woke Anthony. Then came downstairs & called my doc office. They have an answering service. A few min later the doc on call at the hospital called. He said to wait & see if I have more water coming out. To go back to bed. So I did, but couldn't sleep. I noticed more blood like I had my period. By then I was having cramps & knew they were contractions. I tried the breathing. I laid in bed in pain. I ended up calling the doc office again in the morning & my doc called back. I told her about the blood & she said to come in. We left after 8am & got there before 9. It took about 15 min to get there. They checked me in & my doc came in & checked me over. She said I was 2-3 cm dialated. She said something about a pollyp, but wasn't sure. I was having bad low back pains. The nurse gave me water with ice to wake the baby up & told me to walk to get the contractions going. We'd walk up & down the hall. My back hurt so bad. I guess it was back labor, but they never said that. I'd have to stop focus & breathe. I also walked around my room. I hadn't eaten since 7:30 that morning. So they gave me some chicken bullion & yellow jello & tea. My parents came to visit. I threw up twice. I was shivering uncontrolably. I read that, that might happen & it's normal. I had diarhea all day. Also normal. I tried to sleep, but had to keep opening my eyes to breathe & focus. Everytime I started breathing Anthony would ask me a question. My parents did the same thing. My back was hurting so bad. It was hard to lay on my back. Finally at 4pm they said I was dialated 5cm & could give me an epidural. I was real worried about it & nervous. The guy gave me a novicane shot. It hurt. It was like a pinch, but didn't last long. They he did the epidural needle. That really hurt. I got a pain & ache, but again it was just a real quick pain. I laid back down & didn't feel anything. It worked real quick. I was totally numb & drugged out. It was so nice. I was real thursty, but by then they said I could only have ice cause of the epidural. I changed possitions a few times. Well they moved me. When I moved to my right side it made my dialating go down. So they moved me back on to my left side. At 11:00pm I started pushing. It was the nurse on my right & Anthony on my left. He had 1 leg & she had the other. My right leg was so heavy. At 1 point I was holding on to my leg & my hand was going numb cause it was so heavy. I pushed for 2 hrs & 40 min. They put a mirror in front of me so I could watch the baby's head. Towards the end it was real hard. I was running out of breath & energy. Anthony kept feeding me ice. I was so hot & thirsty. The nurse took my temp towards the end & I had a fever of 100 degrees. I pushed more & after I heard the heart monitor going crazy. The nurse told me to take a deep breath. I could see the right side of my chest pulsating. That was real scary. The doc came in. She said that she thought I was gonna rip, so she wanted to do a epesiodomy. I wasn't thrilled about it, but at this point I really wanted the baby out. She also said it wasn't good for the baby that I had a fever. She did the epesiodomy & I pushed as hard as I could a few times & she came out. They had told me ahead of time that she already had a bowel movement inside me. So they didn't want her to take a breath. They said they'd take her right away & try to clean out her mouth. Of course when she came out she did cry right away. But she was okay. The doc stitched me up. They weighed her & handed me my beautiful daughter.

1 comment:

sprinkles said...

I didn't know the details of Tara's birth so it was cool to read.

Is it normal to have a fever when you're in labor?

The receptionist at work is pregnant and I keep wondering what it would be like to give birth. I'm a huge baby so I'd beg the dr. from the beginning to put me out for the birth and wake me when it was over. Yeah, not likely to happen but I'd still beg. I don't deal with pain well.