Baked Chicken Taquitos
Yield: 12 taquitos
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 25 min
3 cups shredded roasted chicken
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (or cheddar)
12 corn tortillas
guacamole (see tips) and/or sour cream or salsa
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Combine the chicken in a bowl with the cumin, salt and garlic powder- mix in the cheese.
3. Place 2 corn tortillas at a time in between two damp paper towels and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to soften them (helps to prevent cracking when rolling).
4. With 1 tortilla in front of you, place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the taquito seam-side-down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
5. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray, and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until crisp. Serve with guacamole/sour cream/ salsa, as desired.
*Purchase a chicken already roasted from the market- or make your own- place 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts in a steamer pot over boiling water and steam for 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. Cool slightly and then use a fork to shred it apart.
*To make easy guacamole for dipping: Mash 1 large avocado with 2 tablespoons sour cream, 1 spoonful of salsa, 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice and salt and pepper, to taste.
*If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of corn tortillas that is known to be GF (and it's probably safest if you cook and shred your own chicken).
*Freezing instructions: After step 4, the taquitos can be frozen in freezer zip bags for up to 3 months. I freeze them on the baking sheet, then take them out of the freezer and move them to zip bags. Prepare from step 5 when ready to bake them from the freezer.
Nutritional Information per one taquito (no guac):
Serving size: 1 taquito
Calories per serving: 151
Fat per serving: 4.7g
Saturated Fat per serving: 2.1g
Sugar per serving: .2g
Sodium per serving: ,span class="sodium">205g
Fiber per serving: 1.6g
Protein per serving: 14.3g
Cholesterol per serving: 38.1mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 12g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 4 Old Points Program: 3
Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from the Weelicious Cookbook)
This delicious recipe brought to you by RecipeGirl