Saturday, June 12, 2010

Poison ivy is no fun

I've never had poison ivy before, but this is my hubby's arm. I always thought of poison ivy as just a rash. It seems so much worse than that. It's different for every person. He has had it for 2 weeks so far. We talked to a few people today & 1 had it for 6 weeks & another had it for 3 months.
I thought I would add a little update. Yes, he did go to the hospital. Last Sat night he couldn't sleep because his arms were burning so bad. He went to a 24 hr CVS (at 2am. I woke up @ 4 & noticed he wasn't in bed) & they sent him to the hospital. They gave him a steroid pill. He also had a follow up this past Wed with his doc & he now is using a steroid cream. We're not sure if it is poison ivy or oak, sumac. He told them (the doc at the hospital that his friend had poison ivy in his yard (that's what he thought), they never corrected him & said it was oak or sumac. So we don't really know.

12 comments:

sprinkles said...

I always thought it was just a rash too! That looks pretty painful. Is it like a blister? If it is, I wonder if it would heal quicker if he popped it. I'd be afraid to try to pop it though, as big as it is. Poor guy! Hope it heals soon and that it doesn't scar.

Rachel @ The Cupcake Sprinkles In Life said...

To me, that looks like a reaction to Sumac!!!

Tell your poor husband to go swimming in the closest most chlorinated pool nearby!!!

How terrible!!

AF_wife said...

EEEK!! I haven't had it either, but I'm with you, I thought it was just a rash! Have you googled this? Or went to the doctor? Ugh! I hope it's a quick recovery! Looks awful!

Kimmie said...

Did he go to the doctor? That looks like Poison Oak. Poison Oak usually looks more like that. I had poison ivy a couple of times. Oatmeal baths are the best. Helps soothe the itching.

sPaRkLiNg sCrApBoOkS said...

omg, OUCH.....I have never seen it that bad before, poor guy!!!!!!!! Did he have that looked at?

The Drama Mama said...

Ouch!!

debbie said...

Be very careful, he should probably go to the doctor. With that bad of a reaction, I would say he is very allergic to it. I have a friend that is so alleric to it, she goes into shock. I learned that you never burn poison ivy, it can actually go into your lungs that way.

Claudia said...

Oh this looks very painful. Hope he gets well soon!

Natalie said...

I had no idea that that is what poison ivy looked like! Your poor hubby!

Erin Wallace said...

Wow! I am getting over a really bad case of it, too, but I've never blistered up like that! Your poor husband! I hope he feels better soon!

xo Erin

Matt said...

Wow, I've had poison ivy several times over the past few years, but I've never had more than a few small blisters. I can't imagine being blistered that badly!

Lady V dZine said...

Wow, my reaction seems so minor compared to those pictures! I do hope it cleared up!