Friday, June 13, 2008

High cholesterol

I went to see my new primary care doc in May. They did a blood test & my cholesterol came back high. I went back this week for a follow up & another blood test & it's still high. My doc says I'm a cardiac risk & have a chance of having clogged arteries in the future. My Dad has heart disease & had to have his heart arteries unclogged almost 20 years ago. I honestly thought the test would come back fine. They've also recently changed the guidelines. I was always fine before. So it's scary. The doc is putting me on chol med & I have to take 1 baby asprin a day. I made an appointment with a nutritionist for next week. I do eat tons of cheese. I really don't know much about high chol. I'm going to read up on it online. I've been eating cheerios. Does anyone else have that, what foods are good for lowering it & what foods do you avoid etc...?

2 comments:

ummmhello said...

My hubs went through this. More fruits/veggies, lean meats only, and stick with the cheerios :) Good luck to you!

Chris said...

We adopted a more heart healthy diet as our new year's resolution this year. Anything I used to cook with ground beef I now cook with ground turkey. I replaced regular bacon and sausage with low fat turkey products. We still eat a burger or a steak when we go out to eat but that isn't very often. We watch our transfats and I have changed my buying habits to include more fresh fruits and veggies and I purchase more lower sodium foods and switched to all whole wheat breads and pastas. Just a few tips. We have both lost some weight and it has helped us all to feel a little better.