I made this recipe tonight for dinner. I didn't even try to get Tara to eat it. She's so picky. I really liked it & I love quinoa. (I got this recipe from Mom Foodie's blog. That's her photo too).
Tomato-Basil Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Author: Robin Gagnon
◦1 cup golden quinoa
◦1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
◦1 large clove of garlic (crushed & minced)
◦1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
◦1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes (15 oz.)
◦1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
◦1/4 cup chopped basil
◦2 large red sweet peppers
◦4 oz. mozzarella cheese
◦Marinara or other tomato sauce to top
1. Put quinoa, broth, garlic, crushed red pepper & roasted tomatoes in sauce pan. Bring to boil, then reduce and simmer about 35 minutes (see pic for consistency you want).
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Mix in the Parmesan and chopped basil.
4. Cut the peppers lengthwise, and remove core & seeds.
5. Generously pack the pepper “boats” with quinoa stuffing.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Top each stuffed pepper with 1 oz. of mozzarella cheese. Bake 8-10 more minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned on edges.
Calories: 300 Fat: 8 Carbohydrates: 45 Fiber: 12 Protein: 15
Notes About 300 calories per serving, without adding sauce on top. I like adding a generous scoop of my homemade marina sauce, some extra chopped basil & Parmesan.
If you have some less calorie conscious family members, who expect meat, top theirs with a few slices of pepperoni, over the mozzarella… pizza style.